Voki

Monday, May 12, 2014

Journal Entry Week 13

Field Study:
Today I went to two different river spots and some hillsides to find lots of wildflowers. There were some on the river banks but I found the most on the ground near the river not necessarily on the banks. I also found some on the side of the road and on hillsides near the road. I was very successful in my findings, I found at least 20. It was a struggle to find the exact names of all the flowers I found as you can see below before I stared researching extremely hard there were some that I couldn't find the name of. I found a variety of flowers especially in color there were many colors. But also in size there were some flowers that I could barely hold onto because they were so small. I can't believe how many wildflowers are just in this small town I can't imagine how many there are in the world. Here are a few examples of the flowers I found:

Buttercup- Ranunculus repens
Purple Deadnettle- Lamium purpureum
Tall yellow flower with little narrow leaves petal groups are hard to tell but it looks like groups of three so I would guess that it's a monocot.
Prairie Phlox- Phlox pilosa
Tall yellow flower with many strands branching out holding flowers on each end, fat net like leaves on bottom of stem, groups of four to five petals on each strand which leads me to believe it is a diocot.

No comments:

Post a Comment